AIOU SOLVED ASSIGNMENT 2 CODE 1424 B A ENGLISH
Ans:- COMPARISON AND CONTRAST
I) Both: Both Ajman and Abdu Dhabi are in the coast.
II) Each: Each emirate has its own healthcare system.
III) Neither: Neither emirate has a river.
IV) Nor Neither Abu Dhabi nor Ajman has high mountains.
V) But: Oranges are sweet but lemons are bitter.
VI) Whereas: Europeans mostly eat potatoes whereas Asians mostly eat rice.
VII) In Contrast to: Most Italians are catholicizes, in contrast to Thais who are Buddhist.
VIII) As Opposed to: British motorists drive on the left as opposed to Pakistan who drive on right.
IX) Likewise: His second marriage was likewise unhappy.
X) Similarly: Husband and wife were similarly successful in their carrier.
Difference: Dress 1 has shirt with long sleeves while dress 2 has sleeves shirt.
Similarities: Both dresses 1 and 2 are beautiful.
Difference: Dress 1 is of dark color but dress 2 has multicolored shirt with white trousers.
Similarities: Both dresses are mod and trendy.
Difference: Dress 1 is of modern design while dress 2 is of old fashioned.
Similarities: Both dress 1 and dress 2 are to be worn on parties.
Difference: Dress 1 has embroidery work on it but dress 2 is beautified with lases.
Similarities: Both dresses are costly.
Difference: Dress 1 suits to tall girls but dress 2 can be worn to any girl.
Similarities: Both dresses are stitched beautifully.
1) Boots worn for riding a horse are called gumboots.
Unfamiliar word: Gumboots
Signal Word: FOR
Definition: Boots worn for horse riding.
2) I can play quite a few melodic gadgets, for instance, the flute, the guitar and the piano.
Unfamiliar word: Melodic gadgets
Signal word: For instance
Definition: The flute, the guitar and the piano.
3) Sami was very upset, on the other hand her colleague were very contented
Unfamiliar word: Contented
Signal word: On the other Hand
4) He is weird, same as he was in childhood odd and strange.
Unfamiliar word: Weird
Signal word: Same as
Definition: Odd and strange
5) Language of instruction in the elite schools that is schools for rich people is English.
Unfamiliar Word: Elite
Signal word: That is schools
Definition: Rich People.
Q 04 A:
Predictions: People area facing calamity.
Related Words: damage by flood.
Predictions: Peoples left their homes
Related Words: Property loss
Predictions: Difficulty in rescue of people
Related Words: Means of communication damage
Predictions: Water surrounds everywhere.
Related words: Heavy flooding
Predictions: People go through worst phase of life.
Related words: Miserable state
Q 04 B:
People are facing calamity as everything has been damaged by flood. People have left their home for saving their lives as their properties etc. have destroyed in flood. People find it difficult to rescue themselves as all forms of communication have been damaged. People are going through worst phase of life and devastating has made their lives miserable.
Ans: IMPLIED MEANING
i) The thief took precautionary measures before stealing.
ii) Mr. Atif knew about the rash driving instinct of his son.
iii) My neighbor loves gardening.
iv) The mother know about the effect of too much smoking.
v) The policeman was very brave and dutiful
1. (i) Gathering (ii) disturbance, (iii) demonstration, (iv) Protest, (v) uprising, (vi) riot.
2. (i) solider, (ii) freedom fighter, (iii) revolutionary, (iv) Mercenary guerilla, (v) radical, (vi) terrorist.
3. (i) Glance, (ii) look, (iii) watch, (iv) Stare, (v) gaze, (vi) gape, (vii) ogle.
4. (i) Overweight (ii) stout, (iii) curvy, (iv) obese, (v) fat, (vi) plum, (vii) chubby.
5. (i) Peculiar, (ii) unusual, (iii) strange, (iv) odd, (v) eccentric, (vi) bizarre, (vii) weird.
WORD : POSITIVE CONNOTATIVE : NEUTRAL CONNOTATIVE : NEGATIVE CONN
Prudent: Sensible :Timid: Cowardly
Careful: Caution: Economical: Mister
Miser :Frugal: Economical: thrifty
Cheap: Inexpensive: Appalling :Shameful
Proud: Dignified :Arrogant :Vain
Cautious: Careful: Economical: Coward
Red: Coral: Rubicund :Burning
Home: Residence: House: Residence
Safe: Secure :Cautions :Closed
Stable: Poise :Equilibrium :Still